Saturday, December 4, 2010

Time is precious

I highly doubt that I am the only one who will put their hands up and say that 2010 has not been the best year. There has been tragedy and sorrow, tears and prayers for tomorrow. Prayers that one day all the heartache will end!

Surely, though, there has been some good times in the past 340-something days for each of us? I know there was for me, and the last couple of days working in the hospital have made me realise that I need to see the positive in all the darkness and accept that we pave our own path. Therefore we are capable of determining wether that path leads to happiness or not. This may mean we need to make difficult decisions and that we have to dig up all our efforts and change direction but if this means we pave the way to the best possible future, so be it.

The beautiful and inspiring palliative care patient I spoke about in my previous post will never cease to amaze me. A conversation I had with her yesterday is the one in which lead to my realisation that we truly are lucky to have our life, health and family. I went in for a chat like I promised her I would, this conversation followed and had me taking my break early and almost in tears.

Gemma* – “I am hoping to go home with my sister, but if the time comes and I go to sleep her, I am glad that I have such beautiful people like you and the rest of the nurses around me to make the process easier!”

Me – “If I could be half as brave as you when my time comes I would be so proud of myself”

G – “Despite the tears?”

M – “Of course!”

G – “Well, I realise that I have had my turn in life, I have had a beautiful life with beautiful family, and I know that there a bigger adventures waiting for me somewhere else. The only thing I am sad about is that I wont be around to be a part of my family’s future.”

So, honestly, Can we all say that even though that it has been a rough year for some, that there has not been some moments throughout that make you glad to be alive? For me, I was able to have my family watch me finish school which, despite my school years not being as joyful as they should, the past two years and this year especially allowed me to develop my love of nursing, and had it not been for a few incredibly special people I would not be ready to head of to university and begin my career. I think we should all take a moment to reflect on the good, the bad, and appreciate all that we have. For we never know when our time is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment